Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Peeps!

   
     I’m obsessed with Marshmallow Peeps. They are a marshmallow-y bastion of all that is good in the world, and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

     I also think wreaths are pretty cool, so I decided to combine my two interests this week and create this.


     I couldn't bring myself to use real Peeps. The temptation to eat them would be too much for me to handle, so these guys are made from unappetizing foam sheets. My drawing skills aren't great, so I traced a picture from my computer. I played around with the size a little bit, but in the end I stayed pretty close to the real thing. After that, it was a pretty easy job of tracing the rabbits on the foam and cutting them out. At first I was really focused on trying to cut them out perfectly. That was tedious. Don’t do that. After extensive research (a lot of eating) I determined that most Peeps are not perfect. So if one ear is a little bigger than the other, you’re actually spot on.

Yay imperfections!
     After I cut out the bunnies, I ran a quick spray of silver glitter spray paint over them to add texture. One spray should be good. Anything more than that, and they start to look a little too metallic. Once that was dry, I added a clear coat to help the glitter survive more than one Easter. Finally, I added eyes and noses with brown puff paint.


     For the actual wreath, I wanted a form that would lay flat against the door. I tried to make my own with foam poster board, and it was the stuff of nightmares. If you have more patience than me, feel free to try it out. I ended up doing three layers of the same foam I used on the peeps sandwiched between two layers of cardstock, and it held up fine. I traced a Styrofoam wreath to get the size and shape I wanted, and then glued all of the layers together. This part was a little obnoxious, especially making sure that none of the foam was peeking out around the cardstock. If I ever go Round Two with the marshmallow bunnies, I will definitely pick up a premade wreath.

     Once the nightmare wreath was done, I just hot glued the the rabbits to the form. I glued over grid paper, and I used one of the straight lines to make sure that the bunnies were more or less centered. I used pink tulle for the hanger. It's a light wreath, so hot glue should work perfectly.



After that, it's just a matter of remembering they aren't edible.




No comments:

Post a Comment